Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Life Lately

Other than the usual household chaos, here's what I've been up to lately:
1. Long-lost family members visited. This year, I've seen both my sisters face-to-face. It's been FIVE years. It sure won't be until the next visit, though.
2. Went to a Women in Business conference at BYU. I ate some very yummy food, wore grown-up clothes, and tried to figure out what I'm going to be when I grow up. Also saw my friend Diana--it's been a lot longer than five years.
3. Wrote and sent off a Boys' Life article. It was my first feature for them. Wahoo!
4. Finished my fourth draft. Yeah, baby! I know it still needs work (and about 10K less words), but this time, I'm more confident about how to do that. I haven't decided if I'm going to send poor beaten-down Rocky out to the world or finish fixing him myself first. In either case, he's worn out and needs to rest for a few weeks.
5. Figured some stuff out.

I decided I'm going to start a non-profit website to help businesses become more family-friendly. It will mainly be a resource. I hope at some point to become a work/life consultant, but not yet. I want to focus first on getting people together to talk about these issues, and raise awareness. Like, for example, did you know that sick leave is not a legal right in most places in the US (including Utah)? So what does a mom with a sick kid do?

I'll blog more about it as it gets going. Right now, I'm building the site and I'm getting excited because what this girl wants, more than anything, is to make a difference.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love #5. I need to do more of that. Good luck with all your fun website ideas! And if you need a Rocky-reader, I'll volunteer!

Sara and Company said...

Girl! You have way more motivation than me. You're amazing!!!